My Northwood Arctic Fox kitchen after renovations

My RV kitchen renovation

by Hillary
15 comments

I love my little Arctic Fox RV but one of the things that I REALLY didn’t love about it was the kitchen area. With very little counter space, cooking was often a challenge.

Since this is my full time home and I love to cook – I decided to renovate. The first 2 images below show what it looked like direct from the factory. (I “borrowed” these images since I didn’t have any of my own.)

old-kitchen2

old-kitchen1

Here is the final result:

new-kitchen2

A good friend removed the sofa and the half wall behind it. While I might miss the extra seating and storage the sofa provided, I much prefer having a bigger counter. I also didn’t want to add a ton of extra weight so something had to go! Guests will just have to sit on the floor. 😉

The butcher block countertop, the sink, and the faucet all came from Ikea. I didn’t like the RV products that were available (They were expensive but felt cheap.) and Home Depot and Lowes didn’t have sinks that would fit in the base cabinet. My cabinetry skills are sadly lacking so I wasn’t about to try to build new cabinets.

That space below the sink was a recessed spice shelf but I had to remove it since the new sink needed just a little extra room.

new-kitchen1

All in all, I added an additional 42″ of counter space. The wire shelving (42″x21″) just squeezed into the space so it’s not going to move at all. The white storage bins hold dry goods and all my pots and pans finally fit into 1 place.

I’m not in love with the fake tile around the stove but the original wallpaper border just didn’t work for me and real tile wasn’t an option.

new-kitchen3

I love my new kitchen! What do you think?

You may also like

15 comments

Glenn January 11, 2016 - 3:10 pm

Awesome renovation. May I suggest some form of netting in front of the pot/pans – to keep them in place will moving?

Hillary January 11, 2016 - 5:33 pm

Thanks Glenn! I’d already thought of that – just hadn’t gotten to it yet. 🙂 A bungee cord or 2 would work also.

Cisco and Bobbi Martinez February 2, 2016 - 11:36 am

You did an excellent job. Looks homie. I would sit on your floor any time. Have a safe trip wherever you might be. Remember we are always here for you and sis.

Larry Egerton February 29, 2016 - 6:44 pm

Hillary, I like the kitchen renovation! This was a good addition to the blog entries as it gets so boring looking at all the beautiful countryside you experience! ? It is pretty neat that Ikea had the sink and counter, I never would have thought of looking there!
I hope to see this home in person soon.

Hillary February 29, 2016 - 6:48 pm

LOL Larry… sorry to bore you with the rest… 😉

Larry Egerton February 29, 2016 - 6:51 pm

Lol, only kidding! I look at every landscape! ?

Hillary February 29, 2016 - 6:51 pm

I know, I know.. I was just teasing. lol

Ramona S January 9, 2017 - 12:41 pm

Totally awesome remodel. Go girl! I’m going to be remodeling my AF trailer to accommodate my traveling companion, a 90+ Aussiedoodle, and me. I would like to change out the kitchen sink as well. To save some head banging could you put down what size you bought from Ikea?

HSummerton January 9, 2017 - 4:57 pm

Thanks Ramona!

Here’s a link to the IKEA sink: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79157644/
Please share some pictures of your remodel! I’m always curious to see what others do.

Julie June 18, 2019 - 6:39 am

I love what you’ve done to your 22H! I would like to do something similar in mine. How did you handle removing the wall section behind the sofa? Did your friend just saw straight down to make it flush with the side wall? I’m particularly interested to know if the manufacturer added the walls AFTER the flooring? Was the flooring there underneath the wall?

Hillary June 18, 2019 - 11:07 am

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the compliment! The wall section behind the sofa was cut with a jigsaw to make it flush. The plastic edging was first separated from the wall so that it could be used to cover the new cut. It’s on TOP of the flooring so while there’s a few little holes, the flooring is virtually untouched. The same with the dinette area. 🙂

I’ll be happy to answer any other questions you have. Regards, Hillary

Julie June 19, 2019 - 6:26 am

Hillary thank you so much for your response ~ which was music to my ears! Mine is a 99 in great condition, but dated in appearance. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to replace the flooring and would just be able to paint the vinyl and then use tile stencils on it. From your description it sounds like it will work out fine.

Another question if you don’t mind – did you have to re-locate a breaker box? I saw another 22H remodel and the electrical panel was wired in under the sofa. Now I have to run outside and look at mine again! Ha!

Hillary June 19, 2019 - 8:54 am

You’re welcome Julie,

My 2012 has the breaker box under the stove, of all places, so I didn’t need to relocate it. However, my dinette had a carbon monoxide detector that was hard wired through the middle of the floor, so that had to go. Let me know how the painted vinyl works. I’ve seen it done in a few pictures but always worried it would peel or wear too quickly.

Julie July 15, 2019 - 10:51 am

Hi Hillary!
Well I got the sofa out and the wall cut down, and found these guys underneath: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7AhrWAypBEb8Kito8. I have no clue what they are, but I’m going to try to move them anyway. I managed to cut through the wires to my thermostat when I cut the wall down, but at least I know what to do with those. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3SKfJPNcBsm6J5eM8 I’m just so happy to have gotten started!

Hillary July 15, 2019 - 1:20 pm

Hi Julie,

Congrats on starting the reconstruction! I was lucky and didn’t have anything under the sofa except storage. I did have to move an outlet or 2… lol